Vipre requires file/print sharing to be enabled?  News to me.  I don't
see that anywhere in the Vipre Enterprise Guide.  That's a good question
for the Vipre forum though.

There really isn't much admin overhead to making a local machine an
update machine.  I had my techs do it whenever they had to go to a site,
so it was done over a month or so.  We just use labels to keep the
machine powered on.  At our larger sites we just used an old low-end XP
box that sits in the communications closet.  We had SAV and each server
at each T1 site was also a distribution point.

I know what you are saying, only 7 PCs.  But a few of my sites have
less than 10 PCs and I did it anyway.

Getting a little off topic, apologies.

Tom

>>> "David Mazzaccaro" <david.mazzacc...@hudsonhhc.com> 5/6/2009 11:43
AM >>>
I have thought about that, but it just annoys me that I would have to
do that.  Symantec never had this "problem".
Creating extra administrative overhead for that one computer (7 really)
just doesn't make sense (to me).
Making sure that computer is on.. what about end users on vacation, out
sick, etc...

This also relates to why Vipre requires Windows file/print sharing to
be enabled.
I assume they are using that to copy the definitions/updates to the
clients, and that's just horrible.
/rant