Short answer, if you have 1,000 files of 1mb each, that's 1,000 times the
software ( and drive heads ) have to seek back to the directory for each
filename and physical location pointer on the disk ... So if you have
hundreds of files,  you've got to find the file, request open to read, read
the data, request close from read for each one ...  In one larger file, you
only have the one request to open to read, and each block points to the next
block to read ...   In a way, takes out a lot of 'handshaking' in the disk
I/O process, which is VERY inefficient

many if not most of your current files are smaller than your physical block
size, whereas in a single larger file, the entire block could comprise
multiple files worth of data, so more data read for each block request ...

And lastly, if compressed, the actual resulting file size could end up much
smaller than the size of the combined raw files, if your transactions files
are mostly plain text, compression could be anywhere from 20% to 80%
efficient.  Even at *only* 20% efficiency you'd be reading an 8mb file
instead of a 10mb file ( you'd be displacing the efficiency by the zip and
unzip process overhead, but that wouldn't directly affect your backup
program's ability to capture the file )

And you didn't say, is the backup local to the Aloha directory, or are you
traversing some type of WAN link ?

Erik Goldoff
IT  Consultant
Systems, Networks, & Security