Worth every cent, and it makes me into a super-hero (grin).

*Fluke IQ Cable qualifier. *
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=742687&enkwrd=ALLPROD%3a742687

This is not cheap, but we had one of those continuity testers before.  I
kept pitching a fit when I saw 6 inches of jacket removed from cat 5 cable
with frayed ends etc.  I am currently moving a bundle of cables that were
laid over vibrating duct work and I see some copper on a few of them.  I
predict a new cable run...

Now don't let any phone guys near our network closet.

hth,Devin

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Phillip Partipilo <p...@psnet.com> wrote:

> I've got a basic cable tester that essentially just tests continuity and
> polarity.  Every now and then, during our rollout of entire-office gigabit,
> there is a line that performs like crap.  This cheap tester makes the
> connection look fine, when, after a re-crimp, it obviously is not.  I know
> more sophisticated testers exist, that might indicate a small short,
> crosstalk, interference, reflections, a partial-crimp causing resistance,
> etc.
>
> If any of you use and/or have used such a tester, what would you recommend?
>

> Phillip Partipilo
> Parametric Solutions Inc.
> Jupiter, Florida
> (561) 747-6107
>

> THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE AND ANY ATTACHMENTS ARE CONFIDENTIAL
> AND PROPRIETARY PROPERTY OF THE SENDER. THE INFORMATION IS
> INTENDED FOR USE BY THE ADDRESSEE ONLY. ANY OTHER INTERCEPTION,
> COPYING, ACCESSING, OR DISCLOSURE OF THIS MESSAGE IS PROHIBITED.
> IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY
> NOTIFY THE SENDER AND DELETE THIS MAIL AND ALL ATTACHMENTS. DO NOT
> FORWARD THIS MESSAGE WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE SENDER.

Devin