On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Phillip Partipilo<p...@psnet.com> wrote:
> My Mini shipped with the COA sticker labeled XP Home "ULCPC" edition (ultra
> low  cost PC edition). As far as I could tell, it was regular XP home
> edition, all I can guess is that the difference is in the licensing
> dictating what hardware it can be installed on.

  Yah, Microsoft was going to prohibit OEM sales of Windows XP
licenses entirely.  But then Linux started to eat their lunch in the
netbook arena.  Vista didn't have a hope in h*ll of running on those
lightweight machines, and the OEMs couldn't sell XP anymore.  So
Microsoft extended the sale of XP, but *on netbooks only*.  Which
seems really sleazy to me.  On one hand, they're telling us Vista is
the future, XP is a dead-end, Thou Shalt Upgrade.  On the other hand,
they'll happily sell new XP licenses if the alternative is a computer
shipping with Linux.  So it ain't about security, support, or anything
else.  XP is discontinued elsewhere to boost apparent sales of Vista,
pure and simple.

-- Ben