From: michael.le...@pha.phila.gov [mailto:michael.le...@pha.phila.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 1:05 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Can't change hidden attribute, nor take ownership, of a
file

"Steven M. Caesare" <scaes...@caesare.com> wrote on 07/07/2009 12:56:18
PM:

> That's a leading period? That's probably jacking you up.

It is. However, you can have filename that start with leading periods in
Windows; I have done that, as troubleshooting. They work fine. This
particular file does not.

> Go to the Mac that originated and see if you can rename across the
network.

Can't do that, unfortunately. This particular file comes from a restore
from a different server. So the problem exists on more than 1 server,
and so what I'm looking for is a method to fix the problem, that I can
then apply to either server (or any other).

My boss says he's seen that before, and that the only way he was able to
delete it was to reboot into Safe Mode, Command Prompt Only, and then he
was able to delete it. Since this is a production server, that is a PITA
to do (especially remotely, altho with ILO on an HP server, it can be
done).

I'm convinced it is something like that "Alternate Data Stream" or
whatever feature of NTFS, that I've never had to deal with before.

If I try and edit the file with Notepad (from Win Explorer), it tells me
that the file doesn't exist, and it must create it. When it does, I then
end up with 2 files of the exact same name, but with different icons in
WinExplorer.

I'm begining to think I need a really low-level, down-and-dirty editor,
to do the equivalent of editing the FAT, to rename/re-attribute this
file.
*That* scares me. :-)