On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 8:48 AM, paul chinnery<pdw1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> For those of you with 'fiber' experience, is 62.5 good enough for digital
> images or would it be better to go with 50?

  It depends on the technology.  I assume we're talking Ethernet (IEEE
802.3)?  If so, it doesn't matter that you're working with digital
images.  Data is data, as far as Ethernet is concerned.  Different
vendors give different ratings for their equipment -- some pledge
longer distances, given the right conditions.  It depends more on
available optical bandwidth and signal strength loss than the actual
diameter of the fiber.  In other words, pay attention to connector
care and good-quality installation.

HP has info for their SFP mGBIC modules, which should also illustrate
what's involved:

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/faqs/mini-GBICs.htm#question16

  For the most part, the smaller diameter 50 nanometer (vs 65 nm) just
gets you longer distances.  But not that much longer.  To really go
long distance, you need to use single-mode fiber instead.

-- Ben