The Licensing for Microsoft Windows requires a CAL for each user to connect to
any MS server. So if the goal is to eliminate _all_ windows servers, you can
eliminate the costs of the CALs.

My experience with OSX server as a Domain Controller is limited to Mac OS X
Server 10.4, but I doubt it's changed much for windows clients: You get the
same amount of functionality as you would running a Windows Domain controller
on a Samba server. That equates to some very basic settings: Profile paths,
Home folder paths and drive letters assigned, login scripts. Basically, a
Windows NT level of functionality. There's nothing wrong about that, but you'll
loose Active Directory and all it brings to the table (Group policy is the big
one, really).

If I were to recommend between a Windows server and an XServe for 150 windows
clients, I'd go for a Windows server. The CALs are expensive, but the cost
saving in hardware nearly catches up... and the functionality you gain from
Windows Server is worth the difference.

If you can, I'd wait for Windows Server 2008 R2... buy two copies and build 2
servers. Redundancy is your friend!

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District