Seems to be topic of the day.

Your risk is that you now have 443 open to the internet, pure and
simple.  Is that good/bad/ugly, that is for you to decide.  It is my
personal opinion that the server holding my mailbox databases is the
holy grail.  If that goes down for some reason every single user with
mail on that server notices.  And as such, I try to minimize risks that
can take down entire mb server.

When you bring up a FE or CAS you separate your holy grail from the
internet and try to minimize the risk.  If some attack on 443 (say a
modified DDOS that your machine doesn't know how to deal with) takes
down a FE server you have limited functionality for phones and owa, if
that were a mailbox server, you might have a whole office of people
unable to utilize any exchange functionality.

As previously stated by Carl, people understand the need for a BES
server, they should also understand the need for a FE for activesync.
It is the right way to do it.

Have a good weekend

-troy