Check the External Links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_shortcut
Not easy:)

From: Gavin Wilby [mailto:gavin.wi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 2:50 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Paging the scripting Guru's - mass shortcut properties rename???

Hi,

I'm on a site that uses a Document Management system that was recently (not by
me) moved to a different server. There are thousands of files that live in a
repository:

\\server01\documents\clients\<file:///\\server01\documents\clients\>*

Unfortunately, what we have now found is that the users use shortcuts inside
this structure to point to other parts of the repository, these obviously
reference the old server, that no longer exists.

I thought of removing the DNS name of the old server and using a cname to
redirect it, but that's a bit of a cludge IMO.

Can I go to the root of the store, and get a script to look at all the
shortcuts and change the path from say:

\\server01\documents\clients\document.doc<file:///\\server01\documents\clients\document.doc>
\\server02\documents\clients\document.doc<file:///\\server02\documents\clients\document.doc>

This needs to be done with no danger to the containers or the folders within...

Any ideas?

--
Gavin Wilby,
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gavin_wilby