Looong post, comments inline, FWIW, YMMV.  Did NOT include complete text of the
original, unlike many top-posters here do.

On 3 Aug 2009 at 18:04, Michael Hoffman  wrote:

>     Along with those mentioned I´ve currently playing with Ketarin - to keep
> them all up to date. http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/

Cool tool, I'm going to start using this one.

On 3 Aug 2009 at 18:51, Peter van Houten  wrote:

> I would put Total Commander at the top of the list: http://www.ghisler.com

So would I.  I bought a 3-user license many versions ago and now that it's
portable I just carry it around on my USB toolstick, and I have it tweaked with
a number of custom buttons pointing at other freeware tools on the stick.  I
use the PQI U339 because it has a write-protect switch, which means I can
protect my utilities against infection ...
    PQI U339
    http://www.pqi.com.tw/product2.asp?CATE1=18&PROID=31

I haven't seen a good file-comparison tool listed.  I use both ExamDiff and the
antique PC Mag utility COMPARE, depending on the circumstances.
http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp
http://www.google.com/search?q=pcmag+"compare.zip";

> Would substitute ImgBurn for CDBurnerXP.
+1 ... although I have to admit I use burnatonce more often than ImgBurn,
mostly because of the inertia of having it installed on the machine where I
burn the most.  BAO's development stalled a couple of years ago.  BAO also
needs admin rights to run under XP, unfortunately.
http://www.burnatonce.net/

> Ultra VNC. Say no more:
+1 ... I use this all the time, especially the SingleClick version I use to
support home-user clients.  Sure saves on gas money.  Wish it had a Mac port.
Also wish it wasn't detected as malware by many AV packages, requiring me to
override the settings.

> TrueCrypt. Brilliant file and whole-disk encryption:
+1 ... ditto. I've had my laptop data partition encrypted for years using TC,
started using it long before it did WDE.

> Testdisk. Get down low with your HDD:
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
I've looked at this, but I use Spinrite from grc.com (NOT free) whenever I need
to recover data from a failing disk.

> USB Deview. Untangle all those devices sensibly. In fact, most of Nir's
> utilities are good:
+5 ...  I use lots of the nirsoft tools, although many of them are sometimes
detected as malware, unfortunately

> Angry IP scanner. Very quick:
+1.  Sometimes detected as malware, unfortunately, especially by home-grade AV
packages.

> >> DBAN - Securely wipes hard drives to DOD standards
+1

> > Notepad++
+1

> > 7-Zip
+1

> > WinDirStat
I prefer the last free version of SpaceMonger: Old SpaceMonger v1.x
http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php

> > FileZilla Client
I use the FTP tool that is part of Total Commander, plus also WinSCP, the free
SFTP and FTP client for Windows http://winscp.net/eng/index.php. WinSCP is
available as a portable app, too.

> > Firefox
+10

On 3 Aug 2009 at 9:57, Kurt Buff  wrote:

> Clonezilla http://clonezilla.org
I've used this successfully.

> Portable Apps - many of these are damn useful
Agree

> PasswordSafe - others prefer KeePass, but I haven't used it
None of the GPL password databases I have seen have a real Palm module, and
since I'm still using a Palm PDA/phone, I use YAPS.  The Palm part is free, you
have to purchase the Windows viewer (for a whopping $9) if you want to view
(and use) your passwords on your desktop.
http://www.msbsoftware.ch/yaps.html

On 3 Aug 2009 at 12:08, Brad DeHart  wrote:

> I've always been partial to Ultimate Boot CD
> (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/). It has over 100 tools for diagnostics and
> repair.
I have a copy of this, also have a BartPE that I use quite frequently.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona