From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 13 August 2009 7:14 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Network link state slow to propagate; UI freezes

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:54 AM, Fogarty, Richard R CTR USA USASOC
<rick.foga...@us.army.mil> wrote:
>>  When plugging in or unplugging the network cable, the link state
>> change does not propagate to the whole system immediately.
>> Network-related UI elements may freeze until the system "notices" the
>> change.
>
> How 'bout using ProcessMonitor to determine what's going on behind the
> scenes while doing the same test?

  Gave that a shot.

  EXPLORER.EXE is using a lot of CPU time whenever I plug or unplug the network
cable.  Seems to be consistently around 40%.  This is a dual-core laptop, so
that's 80% of one core.

  It never goes to 100% of the core (50% system), which is interesting.  If it
was *just* sitting in a loop in userspace, it would use everything it could.
That implies something more... maybe a repeated system call in a loop?

  Looking at the "threads" tab, "stobject.dll!DllCanUnloadNow+0x1995"
seems to be what is using that CPU time.  There's also a spike in context
switch delta in SHWAPI.DLL which appears coincident with this.
 Anyone know WTH any of that means?  :-)

  No other process appears to be doing anything significant.

  I compared to another laptop which is working fine:  There is activity in
those same threads when (un)plugging a net cable, but it is *much* less and
*very* brief -- almost instantaneous.

-- Ben