That search across sites can be accomplished by setting up your search page
to perform federated searches.  So in the background, yes, the search is run
across each site collection.  However, the user only performs a single
search.

Ironic thing I found.  In the MS Press "Best Practices" there are a few
pages on "should Sharepoint replace file shares".  The implied conclusion is
no.  However, MS has been fond of stating they are replacing all file shares
with Sharepoint.

If you are using MOSS, there are a LOT of features and capabilities.  Almost
too much to wrap your mind around at first.  It's almost you don't get it
until you get it.

Plan your governance ahead of time.  Don't evolve it.  Sharepoint sites,
subsites, libraries can get out of hand very quickly if you don't.

If you plan to evenually use data connectors to SQL Cubes or Reporting, I
believe that is Kerberos only.  So go ahead and setup your Kerberos for
everything from the beginning.

If you plan to do complex work flow via Visual Studio (rather than the
simple out of the box) - the workflow templates in VS 2008 are 32 bit only.
So if your farm is 64 bit, you will need a 32 bit farm for development.