From: tony patton [mailto:tony.pat...@quinn-insurance.com]
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 5:59 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: [On-Topic] Patching with PSEXEC

Hey all,

Following on from IE8 doesn't work thread, management here wants start using
PSEXEC to patch applications.

I'm a bit hesitant to use it for patching 2800 desktops for Adobe reader,
flash, firefox and UltraVNC, fine for running scripts and such, just not sure
about patching.

Logging is a whole other thing, personally, I don't want to be able to log
which machines were successful, failed or not on
as there would be no incentive to get a proper patching solution.
I can wrap a batch file around it to re-direct output to a file, so the
possibility of logging is there.

What are the pitfalls that any of you that use this approach have come across?

Also thanks to Sam Cayze for the PSEXEC command for Adobe, hadn't attempted to
work out the command for Flash but this does it, saved me a bit of work :-)

Slightly off-topic, don't know why anyone would want to leave this list, keeps
me sane most days.

Sorry if this is a bit all over the place, 11am and been here before 7 :-(
All information greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tony Patton
Desktop Operations Cavan
Ext 8078
Direct Dial 049 435 2878
email: tony.pat...@quinn-insurance.com

http://www.quinn-insurance.com

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above. The contents

should not be copied nor disclosed to any other person. Any views or

opinions expressed are solely those of the sender and

do not necessarily represent those of QUINN-Insurance, unless otherwise

specifically stated . As internet communications are not secure,

QUINN-Insurance is not responsible for the contents of this message nor

responsible for any change made to this message after it was sent by the

original sender. Although virus scanning is used on all inbound and

outbound e-mail, we advise you to carry out your own virus check before

opening any attachment. We cannot accept liability for any damage sustained

as a result of any software viruses.

QUINN-Life Direct Limited is regulated by the Financial Regulator.

QUINN-Insurance Limited is regulated by the Financial Regulator and

regulated by the Financial Services Authority for the conduct of UK

business.

QUINN-Life Direct Limited is registered in Ireland, registration number

292374 and is a private company limited by shares.

QUINN-Insurance Limited is registered in Ireland, registration number

240768 and is a private company limited by shares.

Both companies have their head office at Dublin Road, Cavan, Co. Cavan.