+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2009 6:46 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: SOHO: Data storage, RAID levels, backups, VMs, etc. (was: SPAM
Solution)

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 2:20 AM, tony
patton<tony.pat...@quinn-insurance.com> wrote:
> I rebuild my desktop at home roughly every six months just for the fun of
> it, it's a lot less hassle than removing all the crap I install to take a
> look at.

  Old answer: That is why they invented partition imaging.  Image your
system/software partition, do your tests, then restore after.  Keep
all your data on a separate partition, so don't have to blow that
away.

  New answer: That is why they invented virtual machines.  Do your
testing in a VM, and revert the VM's virtual disk after.

  :-)

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:16 AM, tony
patton<tony.pat...@quinn-insurance.com> wrote:
> ... had 2 500Gb drive in raid 0 in my desktop ...

  Yikes!  RAID 0 means your chance of failure is multiplied by the
number of drives.  And given bit failure rates and the size of disks
these days, the chance of failure approaches 100% for a single drive.

  RAID 0 might have had limited application in speed critical
situations back when disks were wicked freaking expensive.  These
days, I'd never ever use it.  If I needed the speed and storage
capacity that badly, I'd do RAID 10 (striped array of mirrors).

> ... had 75% of the stuff copied onto it when 1 of the 500's died ...

  Chances are, it was already bad, you just didn't notice because you
hadn't read from that block in a while.

  Patrol reads are your friend.

> ... Mac and an external hard drive to backup to, but
> still getting her to backup is a nightmare and all she has to do is connect
> the external and the Mac does it automatically for her.

  A backup solution that requires end-user action is doomed to failure.

  I recommend scripting something on the laptop that will
automatically sync changes to a networked file server on a schedule,
or whenever the network is available, or whatever.

-- Ben