Thanks! It is a little scary to hear a core piece like openSM was flaky but
we'll keep an eye out for that now.

The whole concept of subnet management does elude me at the moment though.

From: Phillip Partipilo [mailto:p...@psnet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:29 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: infiniband

I put together a two-system cluster with a couple 4x Mellanox cards several
years ago, kind of tinkering around to connect two dualcore/dualsocket opteron
boxes with IPoIB.  Systems ran Fedora Core 5, 2.6.20-1.2320.fc5.  Used some
something called OpenIB software if I recall correctly.  It was flaky, this
"opensm" process would sometimes shoot to eating up 100% CPU for no good
reason, when there wasnt even any processes actively using the IB link.  I may
have done something wrong. Anyway nobody really used it, and now we have a
machine faster then those two nodes together so the concept has been scrapped.

I bet with a fresher version of Linux it would have been more successful.

Phillip Partipilo
Parametric Solutions Inc.
Jupiter, Florida
(561) 747-6107