From: Joseph Heaton [mailto:jhea...@dfg.ca.gov]
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 11:48 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Patch management software question, again...

Yep...understood.  We're going to end up going with GFI LANGuard, which has an
option to not reboot the server upon updates.  However, I would still need to
get a script, or something that can give me a report on what servers need to be
rebooted.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Joseph Heaton <jhea...@dfg.ca.gov> wrote:
> But, my sup here wants to be able to schedule the updates, install
> them, but NOT reboot.

  I don't think you want to do that.  That means you've got some files
on the system updated, but others pending move, so you could end up
running new tasks with an inconsistent code base.  I know I've seen
commentary from Microsoft that says you should reboot ASAP after doing
an update.

  Schedule the install and reboot to happen at the same time.  You can
schedule the install to happen after hours, too.

-- Ben