That's wild.  My few experiences with Microsoft PSS have been uniformly
good (and, knock wood, infrequent), even if I've started with an
overseas technician.  I've always gotten a 'personal' e-mail address
that I can reply directly to, and post-incident follow up later on from
the tech.  The only thing is that I've never had to call except within
the context of the partner company where I used to work full time.
Maybe they have a different queue for partners?

Our VMWare support was purchased through an HP SKU and I've also always
received excellent support from HP's South Asian techs. Again, the few
times I've had to call I've gotten a live person on the phone within 3
or 4 minutes - several times with no wait at all.  If they need to
escalate they do, and if they need to bring in the hardware guys with
questions about the EVA they can get someone on the phone immediately.

And thinking about the EVA, I do want to throw a shout out to HP's
storage support folks.  This particular division does not seem to be
outsourced, and in my experience are uniformly terrific.  If you've got
something that stumps the first level folks, you get put through
immediately to some seriously high-level storage geeks who work support
from their houses.  It's almost scary how much they know and how well
they know it.  I have my beefs with HP, but not with their storage
support.