From: Matthew W. Ross [mailto:mr...@ephrataschools.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:22 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Windows Deployment Servies, WAIK, and DISM

Hey All,

We're using Windows Deployment Services from Windows Server 2008 (Not
R2). It's been very good for out imaging of labs and laptops for over a
year now.

We are now beginnnig to acquire computers that cannot use the default
boot image which is included with Windows Vista. Of most importance, we
are either missing network or storage controller drivers. If either of
these are missing from the boot image, using Windows Deployment is
impossible.

So, I want to update the boot image with the needed drivers.

But a new version of Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) has been
released for Windows 7. It includes a utility called DISM which makes
the updating of drivers much easier .

Question 1: Can I use the new DISM to modify Vista images? I don't see
where it says I can or can't.

Question 2: Will updating my WAIK to the new Windows 7 version be
compatible with the Windows Deployment Servicess I have with Windows
Server 2008?

Question 3: Are there other methods/programs I should be looking at for
imaging/updating Windows Vista Deployments?

Thanks for any input.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District