From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:48 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Allow users to change file associations

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Jim Slattery
<jslatt...@medexassist.com> wrote:
> How about this: Does anyone know which registry keys I'd have to give
them
> permissions to modify so my scripts would work?

  File association information is stored under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes (aliased as HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT),
which is also where all sorts of other system-wide information is
stored.  Class registrations, type libraries, MIME types, all sorts of
stuff.  It's a big ball of mud.  Opening that up compromises the
security of the system.

  Users *can* however create keys under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes, and those will override anything
defined in the HKLM hive.  None of Microsoft's tools that manage file
extensions actually seem to be aware of this, though.  You have to
create the needed keys and entries yourself.

  Or it's been up through XP; I dunno about Vista/7.

-- Ben