From: Christopher Bodnar [christopher_bod...@glic.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:51 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: NTLM authentication question

Can someone give me a brief overview of the communication that takes place when
a client falls back to NTLM for Domain Authentication after Kerberos fails? I’m
interested in the ports it’s using not the actual handshake that takes place.
I’ve read a few things that say its UDP 137, UDP 138, and TCP 139, others that
it can be dynamic.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Bodnar, MCSE
Sr. Systems Engineer
Infrastructure Service Delivery
Distributed Systems Service Delivery - Intel Services
Guardian Life Insurance Company of America
Email: christopher_bod...@glic.com<mailto:christopher_bod...@glic.com>
Phone: 610-807-6459
Fax: 610-807-6003

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or communication of this message
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any
attachments. Thank you.