From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:30 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: To All my fellow Vets.....Happy Veterans' Day!

Can someone please define "Veteran" for me - it means at some point being
full-time military and 8 years of just reserves or NG doesn't count, right?
Sometimes the topic of veteran comes up and my wife and I have a little
discussion, but there's no way it's the same because part time mean you don't
have to deal with most of the same issues the real servicemen go through. The
only "real" thing about NG/Reserves is the 16 weeks of basic training and
getting to blow stuff up a few times a year if you're 11C (mortars). Oh, and
MRE's one weekend a month and two weeks a year. Driving Gama Goats too, but now
I digress...

Anyhow, happy Veteran's day to those of you who had to put up with true
hardship in terms of sacrificing civilian life among other things! My dad was
regular Army - arty - for the Vietnam years (two tours!) and then NG afterward.
A brother went full time for many years too, crazy bastages.

I could never get myself to go full-time, but I sure as hell appreciate those
that do.

Dave Lum
ARNG, 1983 -1991, E5 (11C)
 41st IB, Oregon