Sure, there's lots of things you can do to make it inconvenient for them
to install it, but a local admin has all the rights of a domain admin on
that particular box, which is all rights.

-----Original Message-----
From: Angus Scott-Fleming [mailto:angu...@geoapps.com]
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 5:19 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: IE8

On 7 Dec 2009 at 14:42, David Lum  wrote:

>     If users are local admins can I realistically block IE8 from
getting
> installed?

You *_can_* block "automatic updates" from installing it:

  Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8
  http://is.gd/5fn3o-
    To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft
will
    distribute Windows Internet Explorer 8 as a high-priority update
through
    Automatic Updates for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and higher,
Windows
    XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 SP2 for x64 and
x86,
    Windows Vista for x64 and x86, Windows Vista SP1 for x64 and x86,
and
    Windows Server 2008 for x64 and x86. This Blocker Toolkit is
intended for
    organizations that would like to block automatic delivery of
Internet
    Explorer 8 to machines in environments where Automatic Updates is
enabled.
    The Blocker Toolkit will not expire.

If you have EXE-whitelisting in place you might be able to block it
since the
installer isn't whitelisted, but I don't know about blocking an MSI
install.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona