Thank you - i have this working wonderfully now. To recap:

VM gets 2 nics - 1 for 10.x and a 2nd for 169.x
Default gateway is set only on the 10.x nic
RRAS is configured as NAT/firewall on the private network (169.x)

On each client machine, default gateway is set to IP of the server that has
the two nics.

Works great.

Thank you very much.