Ok, had some more coffee. This is url blocking in email.

Yes, the Ironport is accepting the traffic then blocking it on the machine.
Outside hosting of email filtering fixes that if it is an issue for you, but
less control over the system. Pick your poison.

From: Kennedy, Jim [mailto:kennedy...@elyriaschools.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:16 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Ironport question

It is blocking requests from your users to bad websites? Then no, your users
request www.BadURL.com<http://www.BadURL.com> and the ironport tells them no
right away. It does not fetch the pages and then tell them no.

Or is it blocking access to your internal website/systems from bad area's? Then
yes, those requests are crossing your pipe to the net. But it is just the
request for access, not all of the data. The request gets knocked down before
that. If you want it knocked down sooner you need your ISP to do it.