Hi,

We use Diskeeper (terrible product - forever crashing) to defrag our entire
server estate. It's got a central management console but I believe Perfect
disk is a better product.

It depends on the number of users accessing the data and how big your
volumes are. You can get a very real performance degradation if you have 15
million fragmented files (especially if some are large).

Also - boot time CHKDSKs can be improved if the volume is defragged.

The only real benefit of a commercial product is they tend to be less
obtrusive to the users when they kick off. File re-ordering can be useful on
some systems but it depends if it's SAN storage with large cache or local
storage with very little cache...

Alex