From: Clayton Doige [mailto:clayton.do...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:47 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: VLAN question

Great post J

From: Rohyans, Aaron [mailto:arohy...@dpsciences.com]
Sent: 18 December 2009 00:37
To: NT System Admin Issues

Short answer - yes!

What your phone vendor is referring to is simply VLAN segmentation and
it is an *essential* part of a well performing IP Telephony system.  The
phones likely have the capability to run an 802.1q trunk to your HP
switch.  What this essentially does, is allow the phone to 'tag' its
traffic using 802.1q headers for a specific VLAN (i.e. your new Voice
VLAN) as well as tag it with a specific Class of Service (CoS) value
(i.e. 802.1p - CS3 or CS5)... blah blah blah blah blah.  The PC sends
it's traffic normally (un-'tagged') through the phone and into the
'Native' VLAN of the switch (Native = your Data VLAN).  Now, what this
means to you is that your PCs will operate normally as they did before,
but your phone will LOGICALLY separate its traffic from the rest of your
network.  Although it rides over the same cable, the traffic will be
logically separate as it enters/leaves the switch.  The fact that your
phone tags its traffic with CS3/CS5 (Media = CS5, Signaling = CS3) also
allows you to establish proper Quality of Service (QoS) trust boundaries
as well as provide proper Queuing/Policing/Priority mechanisms to ensure
that your phone traffic maintains precedence over your data traffic.
Remember, phones are unforgiving to network latency/packet loss.  So,
anytime we have the opportunity to 'screw' over normal PCs by shoving
phone traffic ahead of them - we should do it - their traffic is much
more forgiving to latency/packet loss.

Advantages to what your phone vendor is proposing:

*         Creates a separate broadcast domain for your phones - phones
are very "chatty" (no pun intended J) and tend to broadcast A LOT... why
should your PCs have to listen to these broadcasts when it doesn't
pertain to them - and vice versa?

*         VLANs provide a decent level of protection in the event you
suffer from a broadcast storm on one of your subnets - i.e. you loop
your network by accident and the most you'll do is kill that one VLAN.
As it is now, if you were to accidentally loop your network, you'd kill
both phones and PCs.  With VLAN segmentation, hopefully the most you'll
kill is your PC side - leaving your phones unharmed J

*         The ability to build in QoS mechanisms (YES, you NEED QoS even
in a LAN environment) based on 802.1p tags or VLAN assignment (although,
you *could* provide QoS without VLANs using 802.1p tagging... but that's
no fun J)

*         Easier traffic management (even for traffic outside of phones
- perhaps now you could put those 'chatty' printers into a VLAN by
themselves!)

*         With proper QoS, your phones will no longer 'compete' for the
wire with your PC - they'll be given preferential treatment

Disadvantages:

*         A more complicated (but well performing) network

*         More subnets to manage/account for/route

*         Really all you need is LAN QoS (proper trust boundaries and
priority queues setup in your switches) to resolve your issues here..
VLANs *will* add complexity

*         You will have graduated from $50 switches, to $500 switches
overnight

All in all, I would completely agree with your phone vendor.  As it
stands right now, your phones are sharing the same media/broadcast
domain as your PCs and, thus ,'competing' for access to your network.
VLANs are mechanism used to thwart this competition.  If you have the
ability, have your vendor reconfigure the Voice Gateway to operate in a
new test VLAN... place one or more phones into this test VLAN (on unused
switchports) and test your call quality.  I think you'll see the
difference!

Hope this helps!

Aaron T. Rohyans
Senior Network Engineer

CCIE #21945, CCSP, CCNA, CQS-Firewall, CQS-IPS, CQS-VPN, ISSP, CISP,
JNCIA-ER

DPSciences Corporation
7400 N. Shadeland Ave., Suite 245

Indianapolis, IN 46250
Office:  (317) 348-0099
Fax:   (317) 849-7134
arohy...@dpsciences.com
http://www.dpsciences.com/

"I want an Anti-Virus system that sends Arnold back in time to kill the
hacker as a small child before he invents the virus..."

"There are 10 kinds of people in this world... those who can read
binary, and those who can't"