From: Kent, Larry CTR USA [mailto:larry.k...@us.army.mil]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 2:09 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Retrieving deleted IE and Firefox history Urgent
(UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I've had good luck with Mandiant Web Historian   http://www.mandiant.com

From: John Meyers [mailto:jrmeyer...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 7:01 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues

Good morning
I have a laptop I need to somehow salvage ALL the deleted internet
history from.
IE was set to only keep for 20 days, not sure what Firefox was at.
But I need to retrieve EVERYTHING I possibly can.
I think the user at some point did a defrag, which is making it more
difficult.
I tried several analyzer programs that I loaded directly onto the pc to
search with for recent activity, which I provided, then they brought it
back and told me I needed to go deeper. At that point I removed the HD
from it and only accessed it as an external drive to do the below listed
attempts to retrieve the data.

This is not normally my job, but I was asked to do it, and I'm not
having much luck.
I MUST have dates and times for the history, not just the sites.

I imaged it with ghost and tried to use FireFox History recovery, but it
found nothing.
I tried Armor Forensic's NAT Stealth, but it only gives sites accessed.

I tried File Scavenger from quetek, and it finds lots of things like
index.dat files, but when I try to read them with index.dat analyzer
they mostly say that they are not index.dat files. It doesn't seem to
find any history.dat's.

Can someone suggest what else I might try or some good forums for
forensics?
Thanks
JR

<blockedhttp://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/>