From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:36 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Weird DNS issue I can't figure out

I'm trying to implement WPAD in our US office, and think I've got it
mostly covered, except for one thing.

On our main IIS box I've configured a web site called wpad, and set up
a static entry in DNS on the main DC yesterday to point to it.

I can't ping by name, but if I do a 'ping -a 12.34.56.78' I get the
name resolution just fine.

I see an 6268 event in the DNS event log that seems relevant, but not
much information about it, after having visited http://eventid.net -
the one comment there said something about a TXT entry, but I've
searched and found only one reference to wpad.mycompany.com in DNS, no
TXT or other files at all with that name.

I can't even ping it from the DC running DNS.

What's even more weird is that I can ping it by name from our foreign
offices - this is probably something I'll need to do something about
later...

Anyone know what the heck is going on?

Kurt