From: Joe Tinney [mailto:jtin...@lastar.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:48 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: WSUS

No problem. With the behavior you are seeing (patched systems but non-existent
in WSUS) it is almost certainly the problem that Richard describes. I assumed
that sysprep took care of this, but it looks like that isn't the case until you
get to Windows Vista and above: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903262:

"When you use Sysprep to generalize an image for a virtual machine, or when you
use a unique SID-generating technology to create the images, the SusClientId
registry value is not cleared if it is populated within the image before the
image is deployed.

Note In WSUS 3.0, the client changes its SusClientID if the hardware
configuration changes. For Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, and for
later versions, Sysprep is changed to reset the SusClientID. Therefore, this
problem affects only virtual machines that run pre-Windows Vista operating
systems, or that were not created by using Sysprep."