Unfortunately USB-attached HP JetDirects are the only ones I've used
that don't:
 a) require software to be installed
 b) don't have stupid printer compatibility problems
 c) don't have stupid reliability problems

I don't know if eBay is an acceptable source for this situation but you
should be able to get a used USB JetDirect 175X (HP part # J6035G) quite
cheaply.

--

Phil Brutsche
p...@optimumdata.com