On 16 Jan 2010 at 14:58, Erik Goldoff  wrote:

>  Wise choice ... This is little more than a modern technology version of the
> old rip-offs, and amazes me that people are still comfortable with handing
> over their credit card to a food server that takes it out of site for
> processing.  Too many cases of servers with portable ( cigarette pack size )
> skimmers  collecting complete mag stripe info besides what they could copy.
> In the old days, corrupt servers would keep the carbon paper from the old
> two or three part forms after customer signs as their record of the card
> info ...

I don't mind handing over a *_CR_*edit card, (as opposed to a *_D_*ebit card),
to my server.  The CRedit-card holder has assumed full responsibility for
invalid charges on the card, all I have to is dispute them when I get my
statement, and this is settled law.  The problem with Debit cards is (a) the
law regarding protection of the Debit-card user isn't as clear, so the bank can
claim it's *_your_* (and hence liability) fault for not securing your PIN, and
(b) the amount is debited from your account immediately and you have to fight
to get it back, in the meantime bouncing checks.  This second scenario happened
to my daughter a few years ago when she used a debit card to make an online
purchase, and her credit rating is still suffering.  She doesn't do that any
more.

For years I have only used my Debit card at my own bank's ATMs.

Stuff like the skimmer images I posted make me want to photograph* every ATM I
use at the time I use it to document what it looked like in case this ever
happens to me.

Angus

[*] [quibble] what *_is_* the correct word for capturing a digital image?  It
isn't really a photograph any more since it isn't light writing on a medium,
it's just bits being stored ;-) [/quibble]

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona