From: Andrew Levicki [mailto:and...@levicki.me.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:34 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Computer account password expiration

Hi Damien, yes is the answer to your question but the fix is very simple, you
just need to reset the computer account:

Cheers,
Andrew
2010/1/20 Damien Solodow
<damien.solo...@harrison.edu<mailto:damien.solo...@harrison.edu>>
I'm wanting to confirm something and so far my Google-fu has not produced any
particularly authoritative answers.

By default computers that are members of a Windows 2003 domain change their
machine account passwords every 30 days.
If a Windows XP workstation is offline or disconnected for more than 30 days,
will the secure connection between that workstation and the machine be broken?

Will this prevent domain users from logging into the PC?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but wanting verification.  We have some
"vended" laptops that are frequently unused for weeks or possibly months at a
time. The user then finally dusts off one of these machines that hasn't been
used in over a month, and then scream when they can't login from it.

DAMIEN SOLODOW
Systems Engineer
317.217.6881 (office)
317.217.6851 (fax)