SRM came out before vSphere so there'll be a version that fits you.
Upgrading involves (veeeery simplfied):

   - Paying VMware or making sure you support contract includes upgrades.
   - Upgrading VirtualCenter to vCenter 4.
   - Using the Host Update Tool to upgrade each host.

The advantages of going to vSphere are too many to list but then again your
site probably works fine as it is. Getting iSCSI MPIO was enough for me to
upgrade. :)

-Anders