Sorry for the OT. Actually, I have 2 questions:

1. Anyone know of a good VMware mailing list, like this one? I dislike
web forums, and realize that VMware is a bit OT for this list.
2. I need to upgrade my ESX 3.5 Update 4 cluster to 3.5 update 5 (so I
can use Win2008 R2 as a VM, which is supported in Update 5), and
wondered if I had the upgrade procedure correct. Maybe someone could
comment?

My config:
vCenter 2.5 Update 4, on Win2003 Standard. A 10 node ESX 3.5 Update 4
cluster, with HA and DRS, with all datastores on FC SAN (so no local
storage on the ESX hosts).  About 60 or so VMs.

I've gone through the Upgrade Guide, and most of it seems to deal with
updating from a much earlier version of ESX. Even the "Minor Upgrade"
section seems a lot more complicated than my situation calls for.  For
example, I have no need for upgrading my datastores from VMFS v2 to
v3, since my original installation was VMFS v3. So all my VMs and
templates were created with v3.5 Update 4 already, and shouldn't need
to be upgraded further.

If I'm understanding correctly, I need to:

1. Upgrade vCenter. I download vCenter 2.5 Update 5, and just run it.
I let it update my database version, if it wants to. (MS SQL Server
2005 SP3 is installed on the vCenter server).

Reboot? I assume it's OK to be running a slightly later version of
vCenter than what the ESX servers are running?

2. Set the ESX host into maintenance mode, so all VMs migrate off.

I see something about "Relocate VM files". Do I do this, rather than
migrate the VMs off that host? It doesn't seem so, since I have no
local storage on my ESX hosts, only datastores from my SAN.

3. Copy the Update 5 ZIP file to the ESX host (SFTP over SSH, in my
case, I believe). Unzip.
4. Execute "esxupdate update".
5. Reboot when prompted.
6. Take host out of maintenance mode, so VMs migrate back.

Repeat steps 2 through 6, for each of the other 9 ESX hosts.

Upgrade the VM Tools in each VM. This can be more problematic, since
this requires a reboot, which requires scheduled downtime.The actual
process is easy, but it's more time consuming.

What am I missing, in this plan?

I have some further questions, specifically about backup. I backup
each VM separately (i.e., I install my Networker client, and backup
each VM as if it was a physical Windows host). I am unclear as to how
I back up the actual ESX host configuration. I'd really like to do
that, before attempting the version upgrade. If someone could provide
some guides for that, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks, and sorry for the OT.