From: Andrew S. Baker [mailto:asbz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:36 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: REQ: KVM Switch Recommendations

I love me some Avocent...

Been using them since they were Cybex. From small installations to DataCenter,
they're my first choice for KVM. I have an 8-port SwitchView at home.

-ASB: http://xeesm.com/AndrewBaker
Sent from my Verizon Smartphone

________________________________
From: "Ralph Smith" <m...@gatewayindustries.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 16:37:02 -0500
To: NT System Admin Issues<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Subject: REQ: KVM Switch Recommendations

I'm hoping to get some recommendations on purchasing a KVM switch - brands that
are good or bad, features to look for, etc.

What I have is a room with 10 servers, all Dell PowerEdge from about 6 or 7
years old to new, different models.  Some have USB 1.1, some 2.0, most have PS2
ports, but a few do not.  My office with two other IT staff is about 75 feet
down the hall.

I have a 10 year old Belkin  PS2 KVM switch now, but it doesn't work right with
the newer servers (randomly the mouse and keyboard stop responding), the older
servers never seem to be a problem.  For the USB only servers I have USB to PS2
adapters, also not very reliable.

It would be swell to be able to access the KVM remotely so I can troubleshoot
unresponsive servers (blue screen, post errors) from home, but it's not a must
have feature.  Of course budget is an issue - I will have a hard time going
over a grand.   Looking online I see a wide range of prices for 16 port
switches, and lots of brands I've never heard of.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.  Thanks.

Ralph Smith

Confidentiality Notice:

This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential
information and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed. Any review, dissemination, or copying of this communication by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email, delete and