From: Christopher [mailto:c.bo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 12:07 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Authenticode, Internet Access, and program loading times, Oh my!

OK, here is the setting in question: System settings: Use Certificate Rules on
Windows Executables for Software Restriction Policies

and this relates to the regkey
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifier\AuthenticodeEnabled".

Now, if I understand correctly, this enables certificate checking rules for
executables in Software Restriction policies so that programs are checked for
authentic digital signatures, right?.  Now say you're not actually using any
software restriction policies, is there any benefit to enabling this?

The reason I ask, is that I have several domain workstations (no internet
access, mind you) that exhibit very long log on times and slow loading of
things like Adobe and Office apps with that regkey enabled, and if I turn this
setting off, it goes way and everything is nice and fast like it should be.
Note: this is a required setting per some configuration guides that I must
follow, but they don't elaborate on it much and I'm not sure exactly what it's
doing and what the benefit is.

Another thing to note:  These systems don't have internet access.  Is it
possible, these certificate checking rules are causing the system to try and
phone home and update a root CA list or verify the certificate somehow, and the
timeout is causing the program startup delay?  The other interesting thing
here, is that this setting doesn't show up on a default SP3 install of XP.
Maybe I'm missing an ADM.

Yours Truly,
-cb