From: Free, Bob [mailto:r...@pge.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:07 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Adding 2008 DC's... (revisited)

>I'm assuming you mean multiple domains/forests/trusts?

It *could* happen regardless of the number of domains or forests if you have a
lot of GCs and the PAS does a full replication. Think of a branch office
scenario with LOTS of DCs on lousy links.
This got a fair amount of consideration from folks with replication concerns in
"large or messy environments" in the W2K-W2K3 upgrade period if they were
concerned with a full PAS replication cycle. Good discussion of it-
http://www.mail-archive.com/active...@mail.activedir.org/msg31582.html

Another example-
http://blogs.technet.com/justinturner/archive/2009/10/28/replication-error-8464-after-schema-upgrade.aspx

Back to the discussion at hand, there is a concern with replication halting for
12 hours when the 1st R2 DC is introduced if you have existing DCs enabled for
strict replication consistency that was pointed out to us on a PFE visit.
Article 2002034 "Deploying the 1st Windows Server 2008 R2 DC in an existing
forest my halt AD replication to strict mode destination DCs for up to 12
hours" is to be published but I haven't seen it yet. See
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee522994(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_KnownIssues

2002034 is also mentioned in  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2005074 which
describes a similar issue that could occur under certain conditions.

YMMV