From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:24 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Reviewing my GPs, and found something I don't understand

Minor issue, but it caused me to fumble for a few minutes....

I was looking over my Group Policies, and couldn't find them.

I tracked it down, but need some help understanding what I was looking at.

Win2k3 R2 domain, FFL/DFL.

I started gpedit.msc via Start/Run on my XP SP3 workstation, and
started hunting for my DisableAutoplay GP, which I show as being
linked to my Workstation OU. I just couldn't see it anywhere, despite
going back to the MSFT KB article - 967715.

I finally logged into my DC, and gpedit.msc showed the GP exactly as
expected. I then went back to ADUC on my workstation, and invoked
Properties on the OU in question, and it gave me a version of
gpedit.msc that was connected to the domain, as expected.

It's obvious that my local copy of gpedit.msc is pointing to my local
machine (if I start it from Start/Run), but if invoked from ADUC it
works as expected.

Can anyone enlighten me on this difference?

Kurt