Retrospect will do exactly what you describe. Proactive backup is what they
call it.  You say - I want laptops backed up every X days/hours/minutes and
it will back them up when they are visible on the network.  If they miss
their window they start backing up within 2 minutes of being visible on the
network. You can have it tell the user if they haven't been backed in X days
too so if they are out of the office for a long time they can at least be
warned that they aren't being backed up.

Worked like a charm for us for the last 5 years

 - Andy O.