From: Michael B. Smith [mailto:mich...@smithcons.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:23 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Removable SATA backups

I mentioned the big one - it's vss/block based instead of file based.

The major thing this means is that (just like a tape), you hand off an entire
drive (or two or three...however many you need to maintain your rotation and
generational coverage) to WSB and it manages the contents. You don't touch the
drive as a filesystem. All of your access to the drive (just like a tape) is
through the backup media.

However, you can have dozens/hundreds of generations of a file on a single
backup drive. Because the backup is block based - just like VSS. It takes
snapshots and copies the differential snapshot (more or less). It isn't file
based. The higher your disk "churn" the fewer generations you can store on a
given drive.

For most of my smaller (read that as: SBS) clients, I have two 1 TB drives, one
onsite and one offsite and I rotate them weekly.

This is one of the backup options that Microsoft DPM has, and I know recent
versions of BackupExec/NetBackup support it too.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
Consultant and Exchange MVP
http://TheEssentialExchange.com