Do you have the luxury of unplugging the network cable and booting without
an active network connection?  A call to PSS could be in your future.  It's
worth the $250 (or whatever it is now) to get a critical system up and
running.  The few times I've worked with them on nutty issues they've been
extremely talented and helpful.