Kixtart is the old school method of emulating Novell scripts -

http://www.kixtart.org/

And a book to assist

http://www.kixscripts.com/book/overview.html

Scriptlogic is/has a good tool that leveraged the old KIXTART
environment variables (Now called Desktop Authority)

http://www.scriptlogic.com/KiXtart/htmlhelp/default.asp