"At the very least they should have to pay out %BIGBUX for invasion of privacy
by an authority figure or some such."

Who do you propose pay these bigbux?  The school administrators who's only
interest was in saving money - giving approval to an idea that would recover
stolen school property?  The IT department head who didn't thoroughly research
what his forum buddies told him was a good idea because they use it?  The IT
grunt without enough real world experience to know how serious these abuses
really were?  Or how about the school and the district itself?  Let all the
"affected" families sue the school district for untold damages.  Now the
schools have to cut back on programs, activities, events, sports, library
books, computers, etc.  Millions wasted in legal fees and pay-outs.  Who
suffers?  Every family in the district!  It's my school tax dollars you will be
giving to these families who have not been damaged AT ALL.

So I disagree.  Fire the decision makers, slap the abusers with whatever
punishment is deemed necessary and get on with life.