You forgot to take away the laptops or make the students pay for them.  I
know the county I live is does not even want students laptops on campus, let
alone is willing to pay for them.
If they are so worried about the theif issue then let the families pay for
them and see if they want to cough up the %BIGBUX% for MacBooks.

Jon