From: Burian, Matthew J. (mjb) [mailto:m...@burianit.com]
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 7:52 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Server 2008 NETDOM issues

All,

Due to infrastructure changes at a customer location, I am in the process of
renaming and changing roles of some servers this weekend.  One of the
requirements is the renaming of a Server 2008 domain controller, holding all
FSMO primary roles.  I have added the new name as a secondary name using
NETDOM, however when trying to use NETDOM "makeprimary" and "remove" commands,
I am receiving an error messages stating either "The specified account does not
exist", or "The parameter is incorrect".  I will receive one of these errors
each time I try to run the command, however which error I receive does not seem
to be consistent.

After working with this, the NETLOGON service is now failing to start and I am
getting messages in error log "Active Directory Domain Services was unable to
establish a connection with the global catalog".

Also interesting- in the sysdm.cpl system properties, the new computer name is
listed, however in all Active Directory management applets it is listed by the
old name.  The system can be also reached via DNS queries for either the old
name or the new name.

Has anyone ever experienced a similar issue or have any ideas?  Any assistance
would be greatly appreciated as my normal research avenues have been
unsuccessful.

Matt

Matt Burian  |  Sr. IT Consultant
Burian Information Technology, LLC.
m...@burianit.com<mailto:m...@burianit.com>  |  Main: 937 660-8196  |  Cell:
937 681-3600

Computer and Network Solutions for Home and Business
Visit on the Web at www.burianit.com<http://www.burianit.com>