We've been using smart cards for about 5 years.  We use the RSA card with
RSA Passage on the desktop.  Passage doesn't use certificates, it uses RSA
encryption to just encrypt your login credentials.  The Passage software
replaces the login GINA which is what "forces" the smart card usage.

Our cards are also used for building access.  So users don't forget too
often.  When they do, they have to go to security, get a loaner card, the
card only gets them through some doors, it is not customized to them
(negative reinforcement training to not forget ha ha ha).  Then when they
try to login, they have to set a card PIN and enter their credentials to
initialize for the day.  If someone travels and forgets their card, they
have to get their spouse to bring it to the office and we will Fedex it, or
the spouse can send overnight (but we don't pay).  It happened a bit at
first, but rarely now.

We are looking at moving to certificates.  Certificates work much better
when also trying to do user based 802.1x.  However, that easy self
enrollment of a loaner card becomes more of an issue that I haven't resolved
yet.