Curious thing, started a few months ago after I moved the FSMO roles from
this DC to another one.  This DC frequently boots "in a vacuum" - no other
DC's can be contacted, so it takes a long time sniffing around before it
finally starts Active Directory and its own DNS Server service.   A few
minutes after that, the DNS Server service shuts down.  There's nothing in
the System or Application event log to explain it, and the DNS Server event
log records simply that " The DNS server has shutdown." (event ID 3).

The recovery options are set to restart the service, but that doesn't happen
because the service appears to have been shut down on purpose.  But no human
(for sure) and 99.9% sure no software is issuing the command.

Another interesting thing from the event logs, under System, when I start
the service there's an event 7036 logged "The DNS Server has entered the
running state".  But I see NO event 7036 for DNS at the time of booting.
Obviously, it must be started, else the DNS event log wouldn't record that
it had shut down!   And I see no 7036 events for it stopping either.

When this happens, I can manually start the DNS Server service and all is
well until the next boot, which may or may not have the problem.  I think
it's happening about 50% of the time.

I've scripted a solution to recover from the problem, but I'm just curious
if anyone has noticed something similar.  I'm guessing the instances of
branch offices booting their DC without network connectivity back to the
FSMO holder at HQ is fairly rare, but not unheard of.

And this is Windows 2003 SP2, native 2003 domain/forest.  Almost left that
off, yikes!

TIA,

Carl