Andrew, what's your opinion on RAID6 / RAID DP?

John-AldrichTile-Tools

From: Andrew S. Baker [mailto:asbz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:40 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Disk configuration in new server

Hey, Evan

I'm not saying that RAID5 is evil (except when partitioned for the boot
drive), but RAID1 performs better, especially in a disk failure situation,
and drives are large enough and sufficiently inexpensive that except for lab
and testing scenarios, or really small workloads, I avoid it altogether.

It works, and given the state of recent hardware, you won't notice it in
many instances unless you compare directly with a separate machine.

-ASB: http://xeesm.com/AndrewBaker
Sent from my Verizon Smartphone

  _____