Quite frankly, this requirement seems much more onerous to me than the
sat stuff:

"So what we require is a file transfer program that can monitor the log
file on the vessel, without locking it, and transfer deltas to a similar
file on the beach that again is not locked."

If the originating app isn't prepared to do anything than write a single
log file without closing, then figuring out how to do deltas on a
currently open file seems "challenging" to say the least.

Once you figure that out and have blocks of simple ascii text to send,
doing that over a SAT link is not a big deal... that's not a highly
interactive type of thing, and unless you are talking about HUGE files,
it shouldn't be terribly problematic to get pseudo-real time.

-sc