Nor do I like the idea of giving the government nationalized control.  I see
this as a precursor to the government passing legislation allowing them to
shut-off, e.g. block access to, parts if not all of the Internet[1].

1.  ala "emergency control" reasons as discussed in a recent Bill proposal (
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.html), and as as erroneously
assumed would be possible in a Cyber-Security "drill" test conducted this
past February.

--
ME2